About Botulism Blog
Parents, beware of honey for your babies
Honey should not be consumed by children under age one, Health Canada said Wednesday, citing concerns that infant botulism could lead to paralysis.
Health Canada said the condition stems from the Clostridium botulinum bacteria, which is common in nature.
“The bacteria can’t grow or make toxins in honey, but if an infant swallows honey, the spores in the bacteria may grow and produce toxins in the baby’s body and could cause paralysis,” the advisory reads.