About Botulism Blog
Uneviscerated Fish Botulism Risk
Seaquest Seafood Corp. of Industry, CA, is recalling its Dehydrated & Marinated Uneviscerated Fish as listed below because they have the potential to be contaminated with Clostridium botulinum, a bacterium which can cause life-threatening illness or death. Consumers are warned not to use the product even if it does not look or smell spoiled.
Botulism, a potentially fatal form of food poisoning, can cause the following symptoms: general weakness, dizziness, double-vision and trouble with speaking or swallowing. Difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distention and constipation may also be common symptoms. People experiencing these problems should seek immediate medical attention.
The recalled items were distributed nationwide in retail stores and through restaurant distributors.
The products come in the corresponding weight listed below in clear plastic packages inside a master paper carton with Sunrise Brand on the sides of carton.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this recall.
The potential for contamination was noted after FDA inspection found that the product had not been eviscerated or was under-eviscerated.
– Sunrise Brand Marinated Silver/White Croaker, 30 x 14oz, Barcode 5 08 54336-50081 0
– Sunrise Brand Marinated Climbing Perch, 30 x 16 oz, Barcode 2 08 54336-20130 4
– Sunrise Brand Marinated River Barb,60 x 10 oz, Barcode 2 08 54336-20140 2
– Sunrise Brand Dehydrated Anchovy size 2/3cm, 1 x 22 lb, Barcode 5 08 54336-50161 9
– Sunrise Brand Dehydrated Anchovy size 3/5cm, 100 x 3.5oz, Barcode 2 08 54336-20161 9
– Sunrise Brand Dehydrated Anchovy size 1/2cm, 1 x 22 lb, Barcode 5 08 54336-50166 4
– Sunrise Brand Dehydrated Big-Eye Herrings, 1 x 3.3 lb, Barcode 5 08 54336-50201 2